Apple devices like iPad, iPhone models 3GS and 3rd generation iPod Touch models come with a user-friendly feature known as AirPrint. You can also use this feature on any version of Apple iOS from 4.2 onwards. But, you must update the iOS to the latest version for better results.
Users can use this feature for printing directly to AirPrint compatible printers or incompatible shared printers. The entire process can be performed either through LAN or a wireless network connection. You can also avoid the use of cable as you can directly print your contents.
Related Blog:- MAC OS Installation
The Working Process of Airprint for iOS Devices:
To use AirPrint, the device and printer must be connected to the same network. Then, the process can be performed in the way as demonstrated below:
- Turn on your device and open the document that you would like to print.
- Tap the ‘Share’ icon and choose the ‘Print’ option under it.
- Then, look for the AirPrint compatible printer that you want to use for printing and navigate to the ‘Settings’ tab.
- Tap the ‘Print’ button to start the printing process of the selected document.
- You can also use AirPrint without connecting your device and printer to the same network. For this, you must connect the device directly to your printer’s network.
- If you don’t have an internet connection, then connect your printer and device to a similar wireless network.
- As the Network window opens, search for your printer in the Network options.
- Select the printer and begin the printing process.
- If you are not using an AirPrint compatible printer, then you must install some third-party software that supports AirPrint.
- Make sure to install the software on your computer.
- Establish a wireless connection between your computer and printer. You will then require a USB cable for setting up a wired connection.
- Turn on your PC and ensure that it can recognize your device.
- Then, open the Print Sharing option on your computer and select your printer.
- Find out the document and start the printing process.
How to Use AirPrint on Mac?
Check whether AirPrint is available on your Mac or not. If you have an HP printer, then you can enjoy full-quality printing without installing any drivers. In case, the AirPrint option is missing on your device, then download and install the same. Moreover, ensure that the printer is compatible with AirPrint or else you will need to install some software. Then, start the printing process by performing the following steps:
Step 1: Connect the Printer to Your Mac
- You can either connect the printer to your Mac or the network that Mac is using. If your printer has a touchscreen or LCD menu control panels, then select ‘Setup’ on your printer itself. For having a wireless connection, go to the ‘Network’ or the ‘Wireless’ menu. Then, tap on the ‘Wireless Setup Wizard’ option from the submenu and connect the printer with on-screen prompts.
- If your printer does not have the touch screen facility, then press and hold the wireless button on the printer. Don’t release the button until the wireless light blinks. You will then require a router to set up the wireless connection. So, press the WPS button on your router and wait until the printer can connect to the network.
- Whereas, if you will require a USB cable to set up a USB connection. Locate the USB port on the rear of the printer and plug in the USB cable. Then, connect the other end of the USB cable to the correct USB port of your computer.
- In case, you want to use a wired(ethernet) connection, then an ethernet cable is a must. So, connect the ethernet cable to the ethernet of the printer and access point on your router. Also, make sure that the green light is steady and the orange light is blinking.
After setting up any of the aforesaid connections, open a file or document on your device/computer. Then, click on the ‘File’ menu and select the ‘Print’ option under it. Next, go to the Printers menu and look for your printer. If your printer is visible, then click on the printer name to print the required document. If you can’t find your printer, then move to the ‘Nearby Printers’ menu. If still, the printer remains invisible, then follow the next step.
Step 2: Add the Printer to Your Mac Printer Queue
- Click the Apple menu and choose the ‘System Preferences’ option.
- Click the ‘Print and Scan’ or ‘Printers and Scanners’ option.
- If your printer is listed under the printers list, then click the printer name and tap the minus sign next to it. It will then delete the printer name from the list of available printers.
- Tap the plus sign and choose the ‘Add printer or scanner’ option.
- As the ‘Add printer or scanner’ window opens, click the printer name.
- Navigate to the ‘Use’ or “Print Using’ menu and select ‘AirPrint’ or ‘Secure AirPrint Displays.’
- Tap the ‘Add’ button and open the document you want to print.
- Then, move your way to the File menu and select the ‘Print’ option.
That’s all you have to do for connecting your printer to a Mac and print the document therein.
Some Additional Information:
- What to Do if My Wireless Printer Remains Unavailable while Trying to Add to My Mac?
In such a situation, you must check the network status and printer connection first. Get the available updates for your Mac and install the latest printer firmware. Then restart the computer, printer, and router. Reset the printing system for resolving printer connection and installation problems.
- How Can You Scan with AirPrint?
Click the Apple menu and choose ‘System and Preferences’. Then, tap the ‘Print and Scan’ button and select ‘Printers and Scanners’ from the drop-down menu. Click on the ‘Scan’ button and select the ‘Open Scanner’ option. If the ‘Scan’ button is unavailable, then scroll down the list of applications and select ‘Image Capture’ to enable scanning. Click the ‘Show Details’ button on the ‘Scanner’ window. After completing the overview scan, modify any settings and tap the ‘Scan’ button.